Thursday, July 31, 2008

First step back...

The NICU called us today. Jaxon had a heart murmur. The doctor told us that a valve in his heart never closed (called Patent Ductus Arteriosus - PDA), so he is being treated with Ibuprofen through his IV. It's a 3-day treatment that hopefully works so we don't result in a surgery. Apparently this valve usually closes in the first few days in a full-term baby, and within the first few weeks of preemies. Jaxon's difficult day yesterday gave them the indication that this was the problem and they found it on a scan this morning. So please pray that the Ibuprofen works over the next few days. He will be fed only through his IV for these days as well now.

On a positive note, Brady drank from a bottle today. He drank 3ml which is kinda like 3 drops. So we will work with him on that each day.

Jax with his hand IV of Ibuprofen.

Brady after his bath today (he still hates bath time)
Brady with his first bottle!


8 comments:

the schirano triplets said...

what sweet new pictures! all 3 of mine had pda's (2 resolved on their own, 1 needed medication) so i know how scary that initial diagnosis can be. i will pray that the medicine works and he does not need the surgery!

Rachel said...

Your boys bring smiles to my face. I have been following your story since when you were just finding out they are momo. Both of mine had PDA's that closed with the ibuprofin. One of mine needed two rounds of it. Both did resolve though. My thoughts are with your family. Let me know if I can be of any support to you. Rachel

Bliss04 said...

sweater, my friend just had twins at 33 weeks, and one of them had the same condition. i'll keep little Jax in my prayers!

Lindsi said...

aw Annie...sorry about Jax and his step backwards... (as a former peds nurse...I have seen these kiddos do fantastic and recover well) I hope the ibuprofen does the trick
Sending prayers and thoughts

Doubly Blessed said...

Praying for your little guy!

monica said...

keeping Jaxon in our thoughts. I hope that the medicine works. Keep up the brave mom work!! Way to go Brady drinking from a bottle!!

Suzanne said...

Jax is in my prayers. I love reading your updates and seeing your pictures. You look so beautiful and happy feeding Brady, and I pray Jax will be just fine without surgery. I know 2 people who had to do the ibuprofin with their babies and the condition did resolve for both.

Becky said...

You're all in my prayers!
((hugs)) Becky