Friday, October 17, 2008

Coming home on oxygen

Jaxon will be coming home on Sunday as long as things remain how they are now. He's keeping his food down and gaining weight nicely. He's narrowing the gap of his and his brother's weight. Brady weighs 8.8lbs and Jax weighs 6.9lbs. Brady had 3.5lbs on him when Jax was re-admitted into the hospital...what a week will do!
He will remain on oxygen until SPRING. Yes...you read correctly. Hopefully at his 6-8 wk checkup with the respiratory team, they'll only have him on the oxygen at night while sleeping, but I was told to not get my hopes up (that's impossible). He doesn't need the oxygen to survive, he needs it so he doesn't have to work so hard at breathing...they say he'll grow faster with it. At least we know we can have it off him for baths and a few other things, and he'll be fine.
They are also very concerned about him over this winter with RSV season coming. His lungs could not handle a simple cold at this point. They think the extra boost of O2 will help keep him stronger. Jason and I couldn't tell you all how many lectures we've gotten over the past 3 months about RSV season and how we have to quarantine him as much as possible. "NO holiday parties this first year"....we guess we need to accept that now...sorry family....we're bummed, but it's best for the babies. We can't wait until spring and everything can start to feel normal.
I picked up Dr.Brown's bottles for him to try and he's doing FANTASTIC with them! He took 25 out of 40ml's all day for me today by mouth. I'm so excited to think we're REALLY on the road to become NG tube free. One less tube for that little guy would be so fantastic.
Tomorrow we'll be receiving his pump for his night feeds and a wedge/incline for him. We'll be training on how to use the pump and oxygen (no candles or fires in the house this winter!) and getting all his meds in order. We'll be cleaning and getting everything as ready as possible and bringing our little man home for good hopefully!

16 comments:

JennyCohea said...

Hang in there...sounds like things are getting better, we will continue to keep you in our thought and prayers. Faithful followers - Jenny and Family in Chico, CA.

Anonymous said...

I admire your strength. Your boys are beautiful and are lucky to have such great parents. I will keep your family in my prayers and hope that Jax just takes right off and surprises all the doctors with his great progress. Keep up the good work.

SweetJenna - from the Nest Baby boards

Mary said...

Your strength is amazing through all of this! I hope he's able to stay home now!

saucysarie said...

I am so glad he is doing better! Keep those pounds a-comin' Jax!

Amanda said...

Wow! It really sound slike he has turned the corner. What a GREAT weight gain too. I can only imagine how far away spring feels, but I am so happy that he will be coming home with you so he can continue to thrive. You are a GREAT mom (als1124)

Jen & Jeff said...

Holy weight gain!!! Go Jax!!

Alicia said...

I am a lurker, but I wanted to tell you that I think of you, Brady, and Jaxson often. I have a Brady myself :)

You are so strong and it sounds like Jaxson gets some of his strength from you! Your boys are adorable. Your family will continue to be in my prayers.

ThreeRingCircus said...

I feel awful for not having mentioned Dr. Browns!! We use those, too... they're fantastic!

Randi said...

I do admire your strength as well. Sweater, you ARE a good mom and your boys love you and your husband so much.
Randi Booth
p.s. I would love to be added as a reader of your blog if you decide to make it private. My email is randi at chrisandrandi dot us
I am on the Multiples board on the Nest- my sons are 2 and their names are Nate and Tony!

Linda said...

I'm SO glad to hear this. I know you want him home with you and that's wonderful that he's keeping his bottles down now!

Cheryl said...

That is such great news!!! Also as awful as this sounds try to keep any children especially away from the little guy. Dont worry about what friends or family you offend because last winter i kept everyone out of my house and away from the kids..We didnt do any holidays either just to be on the safe side.

**st.thomasbride2 from the nest multiples board**

Doubly Blessed said...

Praying for you!

mrsgingergrl said...

I know it is going to be so so hard, but you will get through it and someday be amazed how big and strong both your boys are.

When my Jack was very sick, I got a few notes (eerily) similar to the one i saw you write about, telling me to let Jack go to Jesus. I had honestly forgotten about it until I saw the one on here - I don't think I even finished reading the one left for me. Don't let strangers bother you, don't listen to them, don't even acknowlege them. You know what you're doing and what's best for your family. My prayers are with all of you.

BabyDavison (from the Nest) said...

I have to tell you that I've been following your journey since my boys were diagnosed as momo when I was pg- you had just been admitted to the hospital on bedrest. Although we found a membrane a few weeks later, I continued to follow your family's story and I am being very honest when I say that you are my hero. I think about you and your boys everyday when I go to the NICU to visit my boys. They are three weeks old now and I feel that I've been composed and confident through this journey partly through what you've taught me through your blog... Thank you so much for sharing your journey and I am so excited to hear that Jax is coming home.

All the best!

Kelly said...

Great weight gain Jax! We used Dr. Brown's bottles as well for our little one and they were fantastic. Sounds like both babies are doing great. :-)

orangestar17 said...

I am so so so glad to hear that things are improving. Hang in there, you're doing amazing!