Monday, February 16, 2009

Onto day 12

Jaxon's surgery went well. He was obviously not the happiest baby in the world for awhile after, but he's coming around. The doctor said the EGD scope showed a very healthy baby inside, but he did find one culprit. Apparently the pyloric sphincter was pretty tight around the J-Tube. This is the ring between the stomach and the intestines. So basically the J-tube filled up this hole almost completely with no way for stomach secretions and the such to go anywhere. This isn't Pyloric Stenosis which is more of a swollen muscle in comparison to this. So the doctor said he widened it (I think with a balloon) and then injected Botox into it to keep it relaxed and open. This should now provide a larger opening around the J-Tube for stomach contents to pass through the sides.

A larger gaged G-Tube was placed (so the healed hole through the skin was dilated, so that's little raw now) so now stomach contents should be able to vent out thru this tube (remember the J goes into the intestines and the g goes into the stomach). So we tested the tube out immediately and just wrapped a diaper around the end of the tube with the G-port open (Pedialite was going into the J-port)...so basically Jax will be fed continuously through the J-port while the G-port is being vented. We had success! We opened the diaper and it was filled with stomach grossness! I was so happy I took a picture!

So we're hoping that since his stomach can naturally get rid of the stomach secretions through a wider Pylorus and a vented G-port, he'll heave and retch less until we can get him to outgrow this! Just think of it as he'll be fed all the time into his intestines, all while his stomach is remaining as empty as possible until the day it's not so sensitive and we can start practicing eating by mouth all over again...I'm hoping spring, but who knows. I'm also hoping Jax can come home tomorrow! Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers, we really appreciate all the support.
*Oh I should say, Jax hasn't started any formula back up until after 8pm this evening, so the real test will be the next 24 hrs!
Update: I also found a clip online last night while researching the use of Botox in the stomach for vomiting issues and found this: http://www.healthcentral.com/acid-reflux/surgery-2197-109.html
This helped me make my decision to go forward the Botox.

After surgery, taking a snooze (with the drugs still hanging in his system I got him to lay his head the opposite way of his torticollis - he took the bait, sneaky mommy!)

Showing his new tube and all that GREAT stomach drainage!
Notice the crazy ports on the end of this thing..seriously, click on the pick to blow it up and check that honker out.
Girlfriends Heidi and Molly.

14 comments:

Lindsay said...

So glad the surgery went well! My prayers are with you and your family....
Lindsay
www.rememberingavi.blogspot.com

Jen & Jeff said...

Yeah!! This has to be the answer for you guys! He'll be home ASAP I know it! Hugs!

Doubly Blessed said...

Yay Jax!

mommara said...

yay! So glad today went well. I hope everything continues to be positive and Jax can get some relief from wrenching. Praying formula tomorrow will go well. :)

Jenn said...

I'm so glad his Jax's surgery went well Annie... I'll be prayin for you and the fam as always! Miss you :)

Laura said...

Glad to hear everything went so well!! Now our boys have the same tubes! It is a big honker isn't it?? I don't know how I'll keep them from tugging on that thing. And I totally understand taking pics of the all the yuck that came out of his belly. When we got Cam off his oxygen I took pics of the guy taking all the oxygen equipment away, and I'll be doing the same once we get off these GJ tubes.

Keep hangin' with me!

Heather said...

I was so excited to read about his pyloric sphincter! It explains so much! I hope and pray this is the end of his heaving and his stomach can just rest. Sounds like everything went well. I'll be praying that the formula goes well.

Meet the Brummett's said...

Congrats on a successful surgery and successful yucky diaper! ;) I will continue to keep your little Jax in my prayers that he gets to go home soon and that this surgery does the trick for him. Hugs

pmkmp (Kristin) said...

He's such a trooper! Get better soon lil' Jax!

Scullyhoyy said...

So glad all went well:)

Linda said...

SO glad the surgery went well and they might have found something to help little Jax!

Wendy said...

omg look at all that grossness! Poor little fella, no wonder he had heaves with that crap gunking him up. I hope he heels up quickly (((hugs)))

Amanda said...

YAY! I am so glad that everything went so well :)

Jennifer said...

I'm very happy to hear that the surgery went well!