Thursday, May 27, 2010

What a day...

The boys had speech and feeding therapy today. We decided to start therapy for Jax every week rather than every other week, and Brady will get some benefit from listening to the speech part of Jax's extra sessions. The therapist thinks Jax could really benefit with the extra help for the feeding aspect. He actually did rather well with chocolate pudding today by alternating bites with a lot of drinks of water. He also responds well to the tool the therapist uses called the Z-vibe. I thought an electric toothbrush would've had the same affect desensitizing his mouth before feeds, but Jax was scared of it. We're thinking of purchasing one of these tools to use at home.
I brought Jax to the chiropractor yesterday and she said his alignment is just awful again. I'm going to step this back up and bring him in 2-3 times a week again in the hopes it will help the reflux (assuming that's what this all is).
Health wise, Jax is the same. He still has diarrhea and vomiting episodes. He actually had one that scared me pretty badly today. He was choking on the vomit and was so wild I couldn't help him. When he turned bright red, I grabbed him to find a phone to call 911, and that's when he slipped out of my arms and hit the foam mat and was able to take a breath in. His vomit is the consistency of egg yolk.. it's so slippery and gooey, so when I tried wiping it out of his mouth, it didn't go anywhere. I was scared and felt so helpless just watching him convulse and NOT breath... I hope that never happens again. No worries... everyone is ok!
The day didn't settle from there since later in the day, Jax shut the bathroom door while Brady's hand was wrapped around the inside hinge. Oh my gosh... I thought we were going to go to the ER for a few minutes because I couldn't get Brady to bend his fingers. He has quite the nasty battle wound on his hand from that one.
In happy news, Jax is taking up to 5 steps between people now. He thinks it's a fun game, so we're making progress! And I didn't mention above how happy the speech therapist is with Brady's comprehension. He asked Brady for a book, his shoes and to go to his chair for food and he understood all of it. Both boys surprised me with their flash cards too. Brady always licks the pictures of food and says "mmmm". It's pretty awesome.


The boys having fun with their water table.
Brady stripped down after the water table fun and mixing me up some food.
They're turning into such little boys!
Always finding ways to get hurt...
Jax's turn!

5 comments:

bassbunch said...

What a scary day, Annie. I hope tomorrow is better. I love the new pics of the boys. I can't believe how big they're getting!

Alicea said...

How scary! I'm so glad to hear everyone is ok after both episodes. What a handful you have there, but you do such a wonderful job. I hope you know what an awesome Mom you are. The boys are so lucky to have you!

Laura said...

I hate those kinds of vomits. And when they fight me because they're in a panic or frustrated. *sigh* I'm glad those instances have been rare for you and hope there are no more. And poor Brady, that had to hurt something fierce. Rough day. Hope you got to relax and have a drink to wind down.

Melissa said...

That sounds scary! When Cass was younger I had a few of those scary vomits where she stopped breathing and more than once I was thinking I would have to call 911. Maybe have one of those blue suction things handy that you usually use on their nose when their babies... Maybe that would do a better job at getting the vomit out of his mouth.

Jen & Jeff said...

Steps? did you say FIVE steps???? THAT'S AWESOME!!! GO JAX!!