Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sore mouth

Poor Brady. He woke up from a 3 hour nap today just miserable. He was crying and holding his cheek. I realized he felt warm, so I took his temperature. It was 99.3, a low grade fever so I assumed he had a molar coming in. I got him some cold milk and pancakes for a snack. He wanted the pancakes so bad, but every time he tried taking a bite he screeched in pain. He spit everything out and screamed with big alligator tears. I cuddled with him on the couch and that didn't help, and when I touched his cheek, he about jumped out of his skin and had a meltdown. I've never seen either boy react this way with "teething" and they have tons of teeth.
I called the nurse to ask her opinion, but before she could call me back, his temperature went up to 101.4, so I figured something was up. The pediatrician always told me that teething-temperatures don't go past 100.
I asked my MoM friends what they thought and a large number thinks it's the Coxsackie Virus (Hand, Foot and Mouth Virus - which was what the doc originally thought was the last virus Jax had, but he didn't), and a small number thinks it still may just be a nasty molar coming in. Well we did notice a small sore on Brady's lip a day ago, but assumed he bit it. I can't get a good look inside his mouth without him freaking out.
The nurse called back and gave us an appointment for tomorrow, but said if we couldn't get him calmed down by bedtime to bring him into Urgent Care (the pediatrician's office was closed at this time). About an hour after Tylenol, Brady calmed down. He took a few bites of a bagel and drank some milk and passed out. That was three hours ago, so we'll see if he needs more rounds of Tylenol through the night. I hope that when he wakes up he has no more symptoms and that it was just a molar coming in, but if you saw him today, you'd never think a molar could be this bad.... we'll see!

Jax had speech and feeding therapy today. He did really well having speech all by himself. He stayed on each activity much longer than usual. He did well with learning the baby doll's body parts and he even fed the baby doll a cup of water. He didn't do great with feeding, but that's always a touch-and-go sort of thing.
His "cleaning out" is going decent. He didn't have a morning vomit for the first time in about 10 days, but woke up early from his nap and had a bad vomit from his lunch just finishing. I was able to get him out of his crib and onto a towel on the floor so only he and I took the brunt of it all (I hate changing and washing everything in the crib). Otherwise the day went well for Jax.

So let's all hope there's not another virus running through this house, I just can't imagine what it would do to Jax right now, and of course watching Brady cry in pain brought me to tears. My poor peanut pie.

1 comment:

The Ciunis said...

I am going through the exact same symptoms with my daughter. Started off with 101-102 fever and screaming, not eating, etc. I took her to the dr and he opened her mouth to show me sores!! Same virus that you said. Its also called Herpangina, which is a milder form of Hand-Foot-Mouth. Its been miserable and my heart breaks watching her in pain. The Dr did prescribe some numbing medication though. We're on day 5 and its finally better. Good luck...