I called Jason and told him to come home immediately. I called the doctor and asked if she could see us sooner, otherwise we were headed to the ER again. They could get us in rather soon, so we left Brady with the neighbors and rushed to the doctor's office.
Jax's O2 registered at 82 so they threw an Albuterol mask on him immediately. He then registered at 86 so the pediatrician quickly put oxygen on him at 5 liters and he was going up to the low 90's and then suddenly his eyes were rolling back and he was fading before our eyes. They called the ambulance and the doctor gave Jax a steroid and the transport team was there. I was crying while holding Jax and Jason was watching everything with wide eyes.
Jax stabilized and we went for an ambulance ride to Children's Hospital where he was admitted with a plan from the pediatrician (she rocks). The consensus was that Jax had developed pneumonia or his lungs were failing from the virus with his past chronic lung disease. He had an X-Ray and it was determined that he did in fact develop pneumonia. The plan was to give him an IV, take blood samples and start fluids and antibiotics. He wasn't able to get his IV until midnight since it took four pokes to get one in. He has such poor "NICU veins" they said.
Jax and I tried to get some rest, but it's hard when someone is coming in so often. Jax wasn't a ton better this morning, but then again, he hadn't been getting his antibiotics for very long. He's still on about 1 liter of oxygen, but we gave him some Zofran and Pedialyte through his tube to start using his tummy again, and he did great with it. So now we're going to start a pump of one ounce per hour of half strength formula with Pedialyte over 3 hrs tonight. If he does well, then we'll start increasing his food tomorrow. His blood work came back good and he actually showed to be decently hydrated since we did all the overnight Pedialyte pumps. His white blood count showed a possible infection which is another indicator of the pneumonia. Our goal is for him to keep food down through his tube, and for his oxygen levels to even out without the use of forced oxygen. We're hoping to see him really turn the corner tonight.
I'm glad to get a "diagnosis" and a treatment during an inpatient stay, I guess that's the silver lining I'm going to find out of all this. And also that we were able to get him to a doctor in time when his lungs really started failing him. I'll admit that I'm a bit traumatized by the events that unfolded yesterday. There was a moment where we all looked at each other with wide eyes knowing this was going to go either really bad, or stable enough to transport. Jason and I felt it from the doctor and we just watched him slink into my lap unable to hold consciousness. I hope to God we will never see something like that again, or know of anyone else who has to experience such a heart sinking, totally terrifying moment.
So, now we wait. Jax has the possibility of coming home tomorrow if he turns a great oxygen corner with the antibiotics kicking in. There's just no way to know. I've come down with an awful virus, most likely the one Jax has, but obviously I'm medically stronger and will be able to pass by it without complications... at least I think I can if I can ever get sleep. Jason is going to switch with me tonight and should be able to sleep at home and try to kick this a little bit. It's hard to hold Jax when I'm hacking up my own lung and having to blow my nose every 5 minutes.
Keep Jax in your thoughts and prayers and we can hopefully get through this and move on to happy healthier times!