Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It continues...

Jax was up only once during the night last night (Tuesday night) where I helped him heave into a bucket (not that much came out) and then gave him a dose of Tylenol and listened to his breathing. I laid in his room with him for awhile until I was sure he was back to sleep.
He was not doing well when I got him up. He had labored breathing, was burning up and kept heaving. I called the pediatrician's office and was told he couldn't be seen until 12:30 in the afternoon... it was 8am when I was calling. I asked for a nurse to call me back so I could tell her the symptoms and get advice of what to do.

Then Jax started vomiting up dried blood, which I assumed was from his neb treatments since he's getting bloody noses from them - even with a humidifier running all night in his room. After speaking with the nurse, who called my doctor, it was decided to bring him into the ER. I wanted to know what his O2 levels were at and make sure he was adequately hydrated. I mean... I knew he wasn't fabulously hydrated, but I was just looking for a safe level.

I had a come-to-Jesus talk with Brady during the car ride pleading with him to be good. I made sure to pack LOTS of food and treats. He was "ok" during this trip. He certainly made me crazy many times, but it could've been worse.

We got to the ER, and they were much faster when talking about lung/fever issues rather than stitches. They checked his O2 right at the desk immediately and he was at 98, I had an immediate moment of relief. I told them that he had just had an Albuterol treatment and Tylenol, but he was still registering a fever close to 101 by their thermometer.
They listened to his chest and he was sounded "pretty good". After a little wait, we saw a doctor and she reviewed everything and this is when we realized he was getting a slight rash on his face. Signs were pointing to a viral infection (hallelujah!). She asked if he was around any other fever-infected kids in the last 10 days, I said BRADY. But of course Big B is able to shrug these sorts of bugs off without too much of an issue.
They did a chest X-Ray and gave him some Zofran (anti-vomiting med). The chest scan came back looking "viral" rather than pneumonia - I have no idea how they can tell the difference. She said they could tell he had gunk in his lungs, but it was not pointing to bacterial.

At this point they wanted to run a test on Jax since he was showing signs of dehydration. If he could go without vomiting over the next hour at that point (with Zofran in him), they would let him come home with me since he has a G-Tube and I can run a Pedialyte pump on him slowly overnight. If he puked while on Zofran, that would tell them that he would not be able to hold his own fluid well enough overnight and he would stay the day for an IV treatment. He passed! I was able to take him home, and Jason was able to catch an early flight to meet us at home shortly after.

Jax got another breathing treatment and we gave the boys baths. Jax got a nice Tylenol/Zofran cocktail and a full pack of Pedialyte to infuse through the night. I'll be bringing him back to the pediatrician tomorrow for a follow-up and thankfully Jason will be home with Brady during that doctor visit! Three straight days sitting in doctor's offices worrying my head off is the pits, but it sure beats having that little bean inpatient!

Now... when I'll get a full night of sleep again is unknown, but it's so hard not to worry about your child's breathing patterns, and how warm they feel, and OH, was that a gag? Let's all just will him well again!

No comments: