Friday, November 11, 2011

My first teacher conference!

I took Brady to the doctor yesterday and it was confirmed that his hives are an allergic reaction to the antibiotic Cefdinir. His cough is getting a bit better during the day, so the new meds must be working, but he was coughing awful while in bed last night. He even had a few "barking" coughs that had me sitting next to his bed watching him breathe while sleeping for a bit. I was going to bring him in the bathroom for a steam shower, but he ended up falling asleep after some Tylenol and an antihistamine (to help with his scratching). I had this awful scene in my head that his allergic reaction combined with the walking pneumonia was going to make it hard for him to breathe when he started doing the extreme coughing. He's his cheery self this morning, so I'm a bit relieved to see his smiley bean sitting up in bed waiting for me.

I had Jax's teacher conference this morning, and wow, that kid is really coming along! I met with the physical therapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist and his teacher.

In physical therapy he's starting to sit correctly. He used to only sit on one side of his body due to his torticollis and weak right side. In occupational therapy he's doing well with focusing on short tasks. He works best 1-on-1 of course, but the therapist said his attention is getting better. The speech therapist showed me how she uses patterned cards to go over sounds with Jax. She's starting to get the MM out of him and then the OO separately, so he's definitely showing progress. The final discussion was with the teacher, and she really has a place in her heart for this little fella. She said he is her most excited and happy student. I think it's because he's happy to be out of his bubble at home! She said he thrives off of the schedule they have in place and his biggest accomplishment has been retaining the fact he needs to WALK versus RUN. She said he attempts the songs and they no longer need to keep telling him to SIT during group time on the carpet. The therapists all agreed that Jax used to need a divider when sitting at the group table because he couldn't focus on his work and was constantly in his neighbor's business. He hasn't used a divider now for the past few weeks, so it's great to hear he's starting to grasp all these concepts!
I think school is having an amazing impact on his development and I couldn't be happier and more confident in his teacher and therapists. I really like Brady's therapists too, I just wish he had MORE than 1 class a week. This is something I'll be addressing at his next IEP meeting.

Jason is off to Vegas for a softball tournament this weekend (he's feeling much better by the way) so the boys and I will find things to keep ourselves busy this weekend!

7 comments:

Wiley said...

I'm an antibiotic allergy type and they're serious (particularly if IV administered). Keep him off all cephalosporins. Does he already have a known penicillin allergy? As those who are allergic to cephalosporins are often reaction to the beta-lactam structure which is also in penicillins.

Annie and Jason said...

Wiley - my husband and I are both allergic to penicillin, so I wouldn't be surprised.
Neither boy has had any known allergies thus far, so I assume Jax wouldn't fare well with that class of drugs either.
Poor Brady had ONE dose and he's had itchy hives for 3 days now. I haven't had hives since I was a child - I forgot how scary they look ALL over the body like that!

royal said...

Hi,
I am really admire the information which you shared here in your blog which is really good read to me.

Thanks
Ebay Clone

royal said...

Nice Post!
I am really glad to found your post in which you offered interesting information. It is really good read to me.

Thanks for sharing information!
Online Auctions

royal said...

Hi,
I have read your blog and I appreciate the information which you shared here. I update my knowledge after read your post.

Thanks for sharing!
GPS Micro Tracker

royal said...

Hi,
I am really admire the information which you shared here in your blog which is really good read to me.

Thanks
Vehicle Rear View Camera

royal said...

Nice Post!
I am really glad to found your post in which you offered interesting information. It is really good read to me.

Thanks for sharing information!
Online E-Learning Software