Saturday, December 31, 2011

Hospital Update

Jax needed oxygen to get through the night last night (Friday night), and then I woke up around 2:30am to him coughing badly. I was sure he got his Albuterol treatment from the nurse at 2am (since I knew he needed them every 2 hours and I had figured out all the times in my head) so I felt concerned. I called the nurse and she told me they changed the orders to give it to him every 4 hours to see how he would do.
Really? In the middle of the night when he is on oxygen and in distress? Mkay, no.

So clearly the "respiratory" guy came to check him and agreed he still needed every 2 hours, and after that treatment, Jax settled down and got a little sleep. As much sleep as one can get when having a nebulizer treatment every 2 hours.

This morning Jax didn't seem to want to get up. He failed his first urine test (they test the concentration of his urine from a cotton ball in his diaper), so they were starting to talk about needing his fluid increased to keep up. Jax took a 1.5 hr nap in the morning and then Jason came for the day. They decided to increase the rate of the Pedialyte to get his fluid intake up. Jax puked a few times on and off during the day, but we were able to space his Albuterol need to every 3 hours. Jax failed his second cotton ball test and now he's on the clock to get better otherwise he'll get IV'd.

We pushed up his rate a bit on the fluid and added a small amount of food to it hoping it would help his energy level. He did well this afternoon and early evening showing a better cotton ball. Although Jason just told me Jax had a large vomit, so we'll see how his hydration tests tonight and in the morning. There's starting to be a lot of dried blood in his vomit. We're all assuming it's from so many breathing treatments.

Jax wasn't very high spirited today. He only sat up a few times to play with a toy briefly. He sat in the chair a few times with us, but ultimately kept wanting to lay back down in the bed. He snoozed off and on, but really just laid there with his blanky. I stayed until he was in bed tonight and came home while Jason takes the night shift. I haven't slept in two days and will hopefully get re-energized this evening and get back early tomorrow morning.

So, Jax needs to be stable in two areas to get home:
(1) He needs to stay hydrated with only the use of his tube.
(2) He needs to not require oxygen while sleeping.

I think we'll know pretty quick in the morning if he's going to be staying.

And what's a hospital stay without Jax's classic hair washing cap moment. Too bad he's super sad in this one :(

3 comments:

Georgy said...

Aww poor thing; hospital stays are never fun. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Bjorn&Esther said...

I'm so sorry, Annie - hospital stays are ROUGH :( So glad he had a better night and here's hoping he'll continue to recover quickly!

Stacey said...

I've been following you for a long time now, and get so sad when Jax isn't doing well. This pic is so sad :( I hope he gets better so sad and I hope you, your hubby and Brady are able to stay strong through the whole thing. Who needs sleep anyway? :) Prayers to you and your son!