Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 8

Today required a lot of deep breaths.

Jaxon's weight is down today (23.6 lbs, boo). It's nothing too concerning yet, but we're watching it. Today Jaxon decided to challenge  us. I had lunch alone with both boys to start mocking the home setting, and Brady was very well behaved. He sat and ate his lunch and never left his seat until I told him he could.

Jax goofed off and ended up having a 15 minute stand off with me over his milk. I turned him toward the wall so many times, that we literally ran out of time. My patience over freaking milk was losing. The doctor came in the room and told Jax he could not pick out a movie for the afternoon and he had a complete meltdown. I wasn't allowed to pick him up, so we walked back to the room with Jax grasping at me and SCREAMING all the way down the hall.

When we got back into the room, Jax was a puddle in my arms and I cried. It's so hard to have been here for 8 days and then watch him regress and be so upset. I guess I expected this more in the beginning and not after the wear and tear of the stay.

The social worker came by to chat with me and gave me a pep talk. Jason and Brady came back for dinner time, and the doctor put me in with the boys alone again. Obviously it was to get me used to being worn down and having to get back in the game (because that's reality). Once again, Brady did well, but certainly got a little goofy.

I gave Jax a great goal to meet (a game of Angry Birds with Daddy) if he drank the milk I requested. I kept my cool and handled Brady's' requests and silliness while Jax tried my patience again. He refused to respond to me turning him to the wall, or wanting to please me to get his game with Daddy after, so the doctor came in and took Jax back to his room alone to sit in his crib. He was told that he had to have a private time out away from everyone because he wouldn't drink his milk.

The doctor came back to Jason and I and said that Jax didn't cry once and was sitting just fine in his bed. WHAT A STINKER. So we waited a few minutes and she brought him back. I put him back in the feeding chair and explained it was time to eat (how he wasn't starving was beyond me) and he still refused. This time, I put him in his room alone and explained that Daddy and I were taking Brady for a walk and playing the game while he sat there alone. He gave me a sad face, but still never cried. The doctor sat outside his room and told us to go for a walk.

We came back 10 minutes later and Jax was still very content. I went in the room and explained that he did not get to play the game for the rest of the night and he made me sad. So that was the end of that meal. Seriously, he sat in a caged-crib with no TV or toys and just didn't seem to care.

Jason and Brady left and I gave Jax a shower. We went into the feeding room for his bedtime snack, and he did much better. He drank 2.5 oz of milk and 10 bites of ice cream. Even with that, he still needs 680 ml's of fluid tonight over night.

I will have Jax alone for breakfast since Brady will be at speech class with Jason in the morning. I'm not sure if they'll throw me in alone with them or put Jason in at lunch time. Jason and I realized the perfect goal for Jax now. He's OBSESSED with pushing the elevator buttons. If someone gets on and pushes their own button, he totally melts down. So we'll try hanging that over his head tomorrow. Yes, pushing buttons... you read that right.

The boys are making Daddy a Valentine gift in Art class today.

Jax after his shower tonight, showing off his cool Valentine pj's. Look at those skinny legs!

5 comments:

Little Wonders said...

Hang in there, Annie! I'm amazed at your strength and determination and I can only imagine how hard this would be! But like you said in an earlier post, Jax has already come sooo far and surpassed everybody's expectations - and he'll continue to do just that!

Jenn said...

Although you may not FEEL it at times, all I can think when I read about this is how strong you must be. Lots of good vibes being sent your way...

Valerie said...

Hang in there hon!!! You all are doing so great. I hope you all have a way better day today.

Kimberly said...

I'm sorry you had a crappy day. Hang in there! Try and think of it this way, you are now in the mom's who hate meal time club. Kids can be stinkers about eating and trying to show their independence. I know it's not exactly the same thing but try and think of it as him acting his age. Please don't forget all of the amazing progress he has made so far. I hope today is a much, much better day! Lots of thoughts and love to you right now!

Michele said...

It is a 3-yo's job to push buttons - literal AND figurative ones! That's so interesting about him sitting in the crib by himself. Something is going on in his little brain ... gears are turning. I have to give you total props for sticking with this program. It sounds so hard! They are very strict ... but sometimes behavior extinction is exactly what you need to do with a 3-yo. Good job for hanging in there!