Monday, February 20, 2012

Improvement

I was tough on Jax last night and he knew I meant business. I no longer deal with turning him toward the corner/wall and instead I count to three. If he doesn't do what I ask, he takes a time out upstairs. He's been doing pretty well for me today and took his goal-amount for milk. Now I need to get him to take more bites of food (which are just added "bonus" calories for now).
He really seemed to like my puree'd PB&J sandwhich! It's just a piece of bread, peanut butter, jelly, milk and butter. Otherwise he eats an entire yogurt and pudding without issues, but I just need to push more real food.
Jax goes back to school tomorrow for the first time in weeks. I know he'll be so excited to see them all, but I definitely dread the thought of all the sickie germs coming back around.
Otherwise, things are looking promising that we CAN do this at home and keep it up!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Hi annie, I'm not sure if you remember me, I haven't commented in awhile. I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you. Tube weaning was one of the most stressful and anxiety producing things we've ever done. I think you're doing a great job! FWIW Evan didn't consume anything but puree's, yogurt (no chunks), juice, and milk for an entire month. Gradually he started to expand his horizons, and now days he eats everything, stuff like parsnips, rotisseri chicken, tomato soup, pickles, pop corn, and the list goes on and on. When we were where you are, I never would have thought it possible, and on a bad night the thought of giving up and just tube feeding was really appealing. Some of the first textured things we had luck with were french fries, puff corns, and chocolate.

I firmly believe a big part of our success was the support my husband and i received from some good friends and Evan's OT. If you ever want to add to your list of people feel free to email

Becky witt0198@umn.edu