Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Apraxia diet advice?

I brought the boys to the chiropractor yesterday hoping an adjustment would help with Brady's teeth grinding and of course their colds. They are both much better today and slept perfect last night, so who knows, maybe it really does the trick.
I on the other hand am still miserable. I swear illness hits the adults worse than the kids, but what do ya do? You forge through. And let your kids play with water colors as much as they want.

When Jason came home from work yesterday, he put a shopping bag on the counter. Brady looked in it and said, "Whu tha?"... oh my gosh, he said a spontaneous TWO WORD phrase! He has never done that yet. Jason was stunned and yelled to me in excitement.

A friend of mine thinks it may have to do with the "fever word explosion" that kids on the autism spectrum experience (http://www.npr.org/templates/text/s.php?sId=16956039&m=1) since my guys seem to have Appraxia of Speech which is also a neurological speech disorder along the same lines as what children with Austim experience. Interesting, huh? :: I'm referencing a similarity that this disorder shares with my children's disorder, not that I or anyone believes that an actual spectrum disorder is in play here::

I also want to start looking into dietary research for kids who suffer from apraxia of speech. I've heard of GAPS, is there anything else or anyone with experience or opinions? I've noticed a large identity between the gut and neurological disorders. My guys have so many similar symptoms to things I read about, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to start researching things that could help with their development now that we're getting a nice handle on medical.
Some symptoms that seem to relate in some research to speech apraxia (not that each of my guys have all of these, but one or both have been in the past or currently are affected):
Ezcema (Brady)
GERD (both boys, Brady resolved by end of infancy)
Feeding disorder (Jax)
Intestinal Malabsorption (Jax)
FTT(Jax)
Delayed milestones (fine and gross motor, cognitive and of course speech) (both boys)
Asthma (Jax)
Fructose malabsorption (we limit fake sugars) (both boys)
Low immunization tithers (Jax)
Heat intolerance (Jax)
Low muscle tone (Jax)


I try to feed the boys as natural as possible (not necessarily organic), but their diet does consist of dairy, gluten and real sugar, and that all seems like it's a no-no from what I'm reading. There seems to be a LARGE connection between diet and behavior - any experience out there? Ha, I'm not sure what the heck I could feed them if I had to cut all the above out! I've been avoiding fake sugar and have noticed a marked GI improvement in both boys over the past year. Any experience with special diets would be appreciated!


6 comments:

tesyaa said...

My son with apraxia has eczema, but so do 4 of my other 5 kids and they don't have apraxia. If it's not too hard to try a restrictive diet, I'd say, why not? But we've never done so, being conventional medicine type people ;)

My son is turning 8 and is largely nonverbal, but I've noticed a marked improvement in verbal output lately, including multisyllable expressions. It's encouraging, since I was warned not to expect a whole lot of improvement after age 6-7 or so, but I feel like he can still make a fair amount of progress.

Your kids are adorable and I've enjoyed reading your blog.

erinlaughs said...

I eat gluten free, as do my kids at home the majority of the time. It's honestly not as hard as you would think, especially with all of the blogs out there. For the most part, our evening meals consist of meat and veggies. We also eat alot of oatmeal, eggs, and yogurt. I feel like it's really simplified my cooking and meal planning in a good way.

There are a lot of philosophies on how to switch over. You can definitely replace any gluten filled food with a gluten free food. There is gluten free pasta and cereal readily available. There are also a lot of naturally gluten free foods as well. The food industry has come along way and offer a lot of gluten free prepackaged foods as well as gf flour mixes. I post my weekly menu plans if you want to check those out.

I know how awful I feel when I eat gluten and I'm just gluten intolerant.

Unknown said...

My 2-year-old daughter has apraxia. We've had a lot of success with high-dose vitamin E (under a doctor's supervision) and high doses of fish oil (Nordic Naturals Pro EFA and Pro EPA). This is the research that led me in that direction: http://www.alternative-therapies.com/resources/web_pdfs/recent/0709_morris.pdf

We also follow, though not strictly, the Weston A Price diet, which is essentially based on getting enough animal fats and proteins along with veggies, and limiting starches and sugars, and there is a lot of good research behind that as well. Good luck to you!

Michelle said...

we tried a gluten free diet with my middle one when we were trying to resolve her gi issues. the issues with her tummy didn't resolve but we did notice that she talked a ton more (and this is my child with NO speech disorder) and when we put her back on gluten she was quiet and withdrawn and she would get "stuck" on a topic and repeat phrases all day long. it was really strange. after a few days of being back on the gluten, she normalized. i have no idea what this all meant... but i completely believe there is a connection beteween diet and speech and pretty much everything else! she eats a low gluten diet now but we are so tired of special diets at this point that i am very lax about anything. i got to the point where if she would eat it... and it was food, i just let her! i am interested to see what you try because i have been wondering what i could do to help my oldest with her speech.

Matt & Shana said...

A girlfriend of mine here on camp, who's from the states has two son's one of whom has autism and her family is strictly gluten free and sugar free for that reason. She does give him the occasional coke or sweet but it's rare and she makes the most AMAZING cookies and tofu fries so it's possible but work for sure :)

I read a couple of gluten free blogs, one is on my roll "With Style and Grace" and the girl here reads several others that have really good recipes if you want the links just let me know.

Good Luck you will find something that works well for you and the boys! They even make gluten free beer now and have lots of gluten free options on restaurant menus!

Michele said...

One of my daughter's doctors feels it's sort of the other way around ... that a sensitive nervous system, a sensitive digestive system and sensitive skin all share a common root developmentally (they all arise from the same germ layer in the embryo). So I think having neurological issues can be a clue that there are also dietary or allergy issues. And a flare-up of one can make the others worse because it's hard to keep your brain organized when you're having an allergic reaction to something, or when you're itchy or nauseous. But I don't know that there would be a dietary "cure" per se for anything neurological. Some people obviously feel differently. It's probably worth a try at least - I would have them tested (skin and blood) before jumping right into a strict elimination diet, given their already peanut sizes - strict elimination diets should generally be done under the guidance of a skilled nutritionist (I'm sure you know that, just saying it to have it said).