Wednesday, August 14, 2013

hGH Treatment is Underway

Tonight is the first night we'll be administering Jax's growth hormone at home. We picked up the drugs at the hospital pharmacy and made our way to the training session we had set up with our Endo-nurse yesterday. She was so informative and patient, that I left feeling confident in our abilities to do this.

I was up all night prior worrying about this scenario, or that scenario and of course feeling guilty that we were putting Jax through this. Mommy-guilt is a KILLER isn't it? I was okay in the training until we were shown the diagram of 'places to administer the injection'. ODD right? For some reason my head said, "woah, this just got real up in here" and I felt light headed. I also never thought we'd SEE a needle and that it was covered within the pen device, so that threw me off too.

The nurse made us feel at ease about everything with all her years of experience and knowledge about the drug, possible side effects (extremely minimal), administration and the schedule. I was very worried about how we could ever possibly leave Jax again after he's come so far of even using babysitters. The 'timing' of administration by us can be moved easily for us to be gone almost two days if need be. I always get scenarios playing out in my head that we can't get home and no one can care for Jax. Yeah, I'm that guy.

The boys played nicely while we were trained and talked with the nurse. When it came time to give Jax the injection, he was fine until I held him in my lap with a bear hug and Jay swiped his arm with the alcohol wipe. Then he was scared and knew that was the universal sign for SHOT. He squirmed while I held him, and Jay pinched the little bit of fat he could find, and as soon as he injected the needle, Jax stopped squirming and counted to 6 with us and that was that. He said it didn't hurt.

The nurse said it will take 1-2 weeks for his anxiety to cease before he isn't scared of it, but from what she saw, she thinks he'll do well with it. She said little girls are much more resistant and fight back much harder (parents get black eyes! heck, I think I'd kick someone too!). Tonight is our first night doing it, so we'll seeeeeee.... eek. We call it the 'GROWING MEDICINE' and we're going to put Jax's height on the chart with a new color marker so he can be interactive in the process.

All I want to do is plan a Disney Vacation for these boys after weeks like this...


So, here are photos of the supplies with detailed explanations for those who have been contacting me with questions:

These are all the supplies and welcome kit from the pharmaceutical company. The backpack came filled with a lot of the things here, but is 'just a backpack' at the end of the day which isn't medically necessary for the process.

This container holds the active pen while it's in the refrigerator.

This cooler holds the pen case securely with two ice packs that can be frozen.

I put this together so I have everything in one place. I just grab this container with the handy handle and the pen out of the fridge. I have alcohol wipes, needles, cotton swabs and the sharps-container.

This is what the pen looks like with the cap off and a needle in its package. The pen gets a new needle with each use.
Here the needle is screwed on with the caps still in place.


The cap is removed, and the dial would be used to set the dosage. The dosage will go up with weight gain. We see the Endocrinologist every 6 months for followups.

The 32 gauge needle up close.

This is how I store the daily meds in the kitchen. The top bin is the asthma inhalers, allergy sprays etc for each morning, then the bottom bin is the hGH supplies and Jax's feeding pump at the top charging for when not in use. You should all see my laundry/supply room for all the 'extra' stuff. Oy, that's my project to go through in Sept. I want one bin each for feeding, asthma and hGH and that's it!



3 comments:

Mydaughtersmom said...

Hi! I just came across your blog and we just started growth hormones today! I know exactly how you feel! If you want to check out my blog I started for my daughters growth hormone journey its growingmygirl.blogspot.com. Good luck on this journey!!Oh and your boys are adorable!

Momma Bird said...

Momma you are so organized! I need to take notes! You are such a good Mom. My oldest had issues with his body (I wont get into details here) that caused adhesions in a very sensitive area that we were trained to "remove the adhesiions" every time they happened. Let me tell you holding your child down while they scream and say, "Please Mommy no" and then when they roll over after and curl in a ball and cry....breaks your heart. So I get it. We want to take the pain away not inflict it. However, sometimes you know it is what is best for them and we push through. Sounds like Jax was a champ though...not that I doubted he would be!

mailey davis said...

MetroMD is a premiere institute of regenerative medicines that offers the treatment of several diseases with Stem cell therapy, HGH therapy to improve the performance of athletes, treating aging, wrinkles, fine lines, and all kind of skin imperfections with faster healing.