Thursday, March 13, 2014

Developmental updates for J Man

I received some paperwork home showing Jax's current standing as a 4k student. There is a chart showing about 50 different objectives with a shaded area of what is considered typical and expected development for a four to five-year-old in each of those objectives. There are notations where Jax fell on this chart in fall, and now where he falls in winter. It's really interesting to see how your child has grown, or not, and you can see patterns of where they may or may not need more help in kindergarten next year.

I was really pleasantly surprised by Jax's rankings overall. He is in the normal/expected range for most of it. He jumped up a ranking in many areas, and only went down in one category. Which, didn't make sense to me until I read the IEP update that came along with this chart (more to come on that).

I found it interesting that Jax actually was above grade level in a few areas (swoon my heart!) but then realized it was mostly in the 'social-emotional' category. Well, bless his heart, of course it was. :)

So, of the 50ish objectives, the ones that stand out:

Above grade average for:
Responds to emotional cues
Makes friends
Balances needs and rights of self and others
Notices and discriminates alliteration
Identifies and names letters
Writes to convey meaning (say WHAT? I'll be asking about this one)

The one area that Jax scores below grade level is 'Notices and discriminates rhyme'. Now how interesting is it that he is above grade level for alliteration (noting the same sound of two words) but he can't hear what a rhyme is? I wonder if that will be a piece to any puzzles in the future.

Jax was below grade level in 4 categories last fall, so to jump up to only one category by winter is pretty cool. Those categories were:
Speaks clearly
Engages in conversations
Notices and discriminates rhyme (this one is still below average) 
Demonstrates knowledge of patterns (this one he jumped up 3 levels, very cool)

The category that Jax fell backwards one level on (although still in the normal range) was 'Attends and Engages', which made a little more sense with the IEP update. As a reminder, an IEP is a legal document/plan for the school to follow with goals for kids who have special needs.
So... his IEP report states that he's on track to achieve all his goals in every category, which is great.

Jax is making notable progress in speech, but still continues to need some hard work. He's demonstrating some nice gains in his specialized phy ed course with gross motor skill development. He still has some unsteadiness in particular movements, but it's coming along nicely. His Occupational Therapist noted that his position for writing tools is much better, but his pressure/low muscle tone is still very light. There is a note from her that he can be resistant to adult intervention for correcting/guiding him and he wants to be independent and proud of his own work. He needs to slow down and allow the aide to eliminate/change some developed habits.

Ok, I guess none of that surprised me. But then, the final report... from his actual special needs teacher, the area/goal of him regulating his body to attend to speakers kinda rained on my parade. Even though she marked that he's on pace to achieve his goal by the end of the school year, his progress notes state that he's making minimal progress at regulating his body, attending to a speaker and completing an assignment or task within the same time as his peers. She says he struggles during most activities and he needs to slow himself down to focus. He is still distracted by everything and everyone and he does 'slightly' better in a quiet environment with no peers to distract him.

BLAH.

I thought he was doing so much better. I knew his fine motor tasks (writing/drawing) took him much longer than the other kids, but I didn't think he was having a hard time regulating his body or being SO distracted still by others.
I'm sure this will be another discussion about 'attention' vs 'personality' vs 'trying to get out of performing a development delay'.

BLAH.
It's amazing how ONE junky report out of 20 good ones can bring me down.

So, I have some notes to bring up at teacher conferences next Friday that Jason and I will be attending. I think Jax is doing great in school and have GOT to know there will be areas of growth to address. All kids do, right??
I haven't got any reports on Brady, and I'm almost glad since I needed a few days to really look at and digest Jax's first. It definitely makes me glad we decided to do the IEP meetings separately this spring!

Here's a picture of the boys before the bus earlier this week with warmer weather, but the sunlight off the snow was too bright to look at the camera! Jax keeps yelling at the snow to GO AWAY so he can play baseball :)

2 comments:

Jbri said...

Writes to convey meaning is knowing that writing carries a message. Examples would be making a grocery list in dramatic play, writing to tell the story of a picture they draw etc. The lower levels are scribble writing and mock letters and the highest is late invented spelling. A kid with fine motor needs is going to be lower in this.

Also rhyming is being able to discriminate at the end of a word and is much harder then alliteration which is beginning sounds. Most 4 year olds are not rhyming independently.

PS I am a preschool teacher who also uses this curriculum.

Annie and Jason said...

Thanks jbri!
That's what I assumed 'writes to convey meaning' meant, and that's why it confuses me that he'd succeed in it. Jax is delayed with fine motor and has a really difficult time with with writing and drawing. I'll have to ask at teacher conferences on Friday.
The rhyming thing only threw me off because I assumed Jax understood rhyming from stories we read. But I assume it will come with time!
Thanks for your info!