Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Hypovolemic Shock

I wish I still blissfully didn't know what that word meant.

I was all ready to update the blog this past weekend about how the boys had started basketball at the YMCA, and they just loved it, but we've had quite the turn of events that have totally shaken our family to the core.
Brady was sick Monday evening (January 12th), and had been up all night vomiting, with a little diarrhea. He was really sick, but his harsh symptoms ceased after about 8-12 hrs and then he was much better the next day.
We got a call on Friday at 3:30pm to pick Jax up from school because he had started to vomit. We were pretty sure he had gotten Brady's GI-virus, so we felt confident to know what to expect and that that the next 8 hrs would be rough, but it would pass quickly after.
We realized he was getting exhausted fast from the vomiting and was laying on the bathroom floor. I called the doc's office knowing they were about to close, but was hoping to get some guidance. The nurse told me she suggested we take him to the ER or Urgent Care, but she'd have our pediatrician call shortly. So, we actually packed a bag and got Jax ready to head out.
The doctor called back and we decided to keep him out of the ER and try to treat him at home with some Zofran to cut the vomiting down and try to get sips of water.
We did that, and it was working. His vomiting came down and he was constantly taking sips. He was trying to chug the water, which made him sick, so we had to limit him to sips.

Our pediatrician called back around 9:30pm to check on him and I reported that his vomiting was coming down, he was taking sips, but diarrhea had really picked up. He was responding to me each time I changed his diaper. She said to stay the course and to start a Pedialyte pump through his feeding tube first thing in the morning.

I kept changing his diaper every half hour, if not sooner and Jay took over by midnight. Jay changed his last diaper and watched Jax poo all over the bed with his eyes wide open. That definitely was not normal. Jason brought Jax into the bathroom and realized he wasn't responding to him but his eyes were open. Jason came to wake me up and told me Jax wasn't responsive to him.

We rushed in by him and within a matter of moments he made some very odd head jerking movements and went into a full seizure. I have no idea how much time passed between me opening the doors and turning on all lights for the paramedics, but I do remember Jason calling neighbors and a police officer holding me in the hallway as I sobbed watching the paramedics try to stop Jax's seizure.

They weren't able to stop it, so they scooped him up and got him in the ambulance. I jumped in and Jason said he'd be right behind us once he banged on the neighbor's doors to take Brady. Oh poor Brady in this whole situation. Thankfully we had put him in the guest room that night so we could sleep next to Jax to care for him - which oddly we've never done since they've shared a room the past two years. It saved Brady from some of the horrible scene, but he came out to go into our room as they were getting ready to get Jax out of there, so I'm sure he saw Jax seizing on the ground :(
while in the ambulance they checked his sugar and yelled out some number in the 20s and suddenly the ambulance went FASTER. I've never had any clue what sugar numbers should measure up, but I realized quick that his number was not OK.

The ER was able to get Jax resuscitated about 20 minutes after arrival, so his seizure lasted more then 45 minutes (that just seems like a lifetime).
We were transferred to ICU and remained there until today (Tuesday) where we are now on the Endocrinology/GI acute care floor.
Jax was unconscious until 1am on Sunday morning. It took him a full day to become really aware/conscious of everything, but things quickly progressed on Monday into Tuesday. He was upset to find out he lost a day (was adamant it was Friday when we told him it was Sunday...), but he's doing well. His official diagnosis so far is Hypovolemic Shock with a hypoglycemic seizure. Any further diagnosis' would be to WHY that happened.

He wasn't able to hold his head up on Monday, and with OT and PT help, he was already able to take a few steps on Tuesday! So he is progressing quickly now.
Jax has been very emotional and has cried each time he's received a phone call, card or gift - it's heart warming and breaking all at the same time.
He only remembers up until about midnight that night it all happened. He asks each morning when he wakes up what day it is. I think he fears he'll suddenly lose another day or two.

Brady has been supported so well from school. We've been picking him up early each day and bringing him to Jax so they can be together. Brady seems to be getting better with it all too, but I think it will take quite awhile for them both to emotionally recover from this.
I'm pretty sure Jason and I are forever changed and have been trying our best to keep it all together as much as possible.

We're just waiting on labs to come back now to figure out WHY this happened. There's a few possibilities or there's just the idea that the most imperfect storm happened to him that night. Tell will tell while we wait and rehab Jax back to himself. He really has started looking HIMSELF again today!

Jason and I have felt so much guilt over the past few days feeling like we didn't support Jax enough that night. One of the ER docs heard us saying this and assured us that if we brought him in earlier in the night, he would've not been treated for asthma issues and the he would've possibly only recieved a saline IV - which would not have helped his blood sugar. So.. we're trying to accept that this insanely fast 12 hr acute illness was not something we could've known to handle or treat. We will forever NOW treat him differently, especially knowing the final word on what it all is.
I'll update when we get some answers and a plan of action. I had some photos of the first 2 days on this computer, but will get the photos from the last two days, which are MUCH more Jax being himself, so just know he's better then what you'll see below.
Please send him prayers or good thoughts if you can...










Waking up and showing the first hint of a smile.








4 comments:

cat said...

Oh gosh Annie - what a horrible thing to happen. Will keep him in our prayers - send him regards from South Africa.

Matt & Shana said...

We're thinking about you guys every day and tell Jax that people all the way over in Indonesia are thinking about him :) He has supporters all over the world! HUGS!!

Kristin said...

Annie, this is Brianna's sister, Kristin. I've been reading your blog for a few years now, as I have twin boys of my own. Brianna was keeping me updated from your Facebook statuses over the weekend and I've been praying for Jax and your family. My heart aches for all of you, having to go through this, but I'm so glad to hear that Jax is on the mend. I will continue praying!

Georgy said...

Definitely in my thoughts. My son had a seizure 2 1/2 years ago while we were on vacation; he had chronic ketotic hypoglycemia which I was told was common in really small children. Because of the seizures we also met with a pediatric neurologist who confirmed that the seizure was provoked by the low blood sugar and didn't feel there was any neurological disorder but just to be sure ordered a cat scan and EEG to rule that out. Fortunately both came back normal. So glad to hear that he's feeling better, hugs!!!
Georgina