Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Finally hit

Apparently our house likes to go down in health this week every year! I have no idea if my essential oils help THAT much with our immune system, but I ran out of my specific 'immune combo oils' last week for about 3 days, and Brady started a cold. It may be coincidence of course, but my goodness!
It's so hard to contain colds between the boys since they pretty much sit on top of each other when playing video games, playing on the iPad or reading books. And they're little boys, so they're gross in general with their germs.

The boys each had their "half birthday" parties at school on Thursday. Brady's teacher told me she could tell he wasn't feeling well. He had a cough and gross nose, but seemed OK at that point. It was the same on Friday, and the boys even went to a birthday party that night, which gave Jay and I the opportunity to go down the street to a dinner alone (AMAZING). Brady had energy and seemed to be fine. Well, later that night he suddenly spiked a fever. And with so much history with Jax, I know that spiking a fever on day 3 of a cold can mean trouble. Sure enough, Brady was up hacking all night long and he was down and out on Saturday. (sigh) Poor kid.
I called his pediatrician (who had no openings that morning) and the nurse said he needed to be seen for sure, so I brought him to a children's urgent care. Turned out he had 'walking pneumonia', but we caught it early, so he's bouncing back quick after some medication. He stayed home Monday and is back at school today with a checkup with his doc after school and then we run to basketball.

Now Jax... he seemed to escape the cold, but then started a cough (along with me) on Sunday. He was doing fine until last night he coughed non-stop. So, Jay and I were up and down all night giving him breathing treatments. His pulse ox was fine all night and he never started a fever, so we'll just continue to treat and hope he purges it without complication. He was home Monday as well, so our house is kinda a big ole' germ fest. I'm disinfecting everything that I can today in hopes that Jay doesn't get it. Jax will get breathing treatments every 4 hrs at school, so hopefully that just helps him get through the day. Jay and I take bets on if I'll get a call to get him... ya never know with that kid!

Jax also has an appointment to see his surgeon next week Tuesday to see if anything needs to be done with his incision. It keeps exploding and then crusting every 3 days and the nurse told me over the phone that a stitch is trying to get out. If it doesn't fix itself by next week, we'll see the doc. He'll see if he can do anything. The worst case scenario is surgery, which is NOT on my radar as an option, so I hope they figure it out!

Jay and I met with Jax's school team on Thursday and it was a good meeting. Our fears of Jax disrupting the class or having some behavior issues were squashed. The teacher said that Jax gets impulsive and shouts things out just as much as any of the other 'active' boys, so he doesn't have any outstanding issues that way.
As for his breakdowns at home with homework, they just don't want to send any home anymore. Which sort of upset me, because I don't like him to be treated so differently or for him to get a free pass (which could keep him from progressing in school), but they said he has a pretty severe fine motor deficit and we're just torturing him with 'making him' use a pencil. He'll of course read (which he loves) and do his math program on the iPad.
They are downloading a keyboard app for his iPad at school and sent the link to me to get him for home. They truly don't believe he'll be much of a penmanship writer and he will just have to be a keyboarder and be tested that way instead. That bothers me too, like we're just giving up on his motor skill, but the special ed director reminded me that Jax can't even drink from a milk carton without a straw, so we need to keep him excited and happy about school and not to push too hard on areas he truly can't help. I get it, I do. I just need to ease into some of these things that I expected he'd be able to do.
One area that really confuses us and the teacher, is that Jax is way above grade level for reading and he does it with ease, but yet he can't spell well or recall details for stories or drawings. The teacher said that students typically exceed or struggle with reading/spelling together rather than being able to do one and not the other, so he's such an enigma!
The good news is that the teachers all said he's super happy, has tons of friends and people gravitate toward him, so being in the special ed program with all his aides and therapists aren't affecting him on a social level. I think it's important for parents to hear that since we'll always worry.

Brady's class during his little celebration.

A bunch of crazy kids

7 year birthday party for one Jax's classmates.

My buddy Big B on day 4 of a cold, see how he went down :(

No comments: